The American Academy of Dermatology reports that skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Most cases of melanoma, the deadliest kind of skin cancer, are caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. To lower your skin cancer risk, protect your skin from the sun and avoid indoor tanning. Melanoma is not the most common form of skin cancer, but it is the deadliest.
Here are some helpful tips to keep you and your family safe from harmful sun exposure this summer.
- Seek shade, especially during midday hours.
- Cover up with clothing to protect exposed skin.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim to shade the face, head, ears, and neck.
- Wear sunglasses that wrap around and block as close to 100 percent of both UVA and UVB rays as possible.
- Use sunscreen with broad spectrum (UVA and UVB) protection and sun protective factor (SPF) 30 or higher.
- Remember to reapply sunscreen at least every two hours and after swimming, sweating or toweling off.
So, which is the best sunscreen for you? EltaMD sunscreens are available at Revive Medical Spa and are formulated with transparent zinc oxide and are noncomedogenic, sensitivity-free, fragrance-free and paraben-free. EltaMD is ideal for everyday use since it is lightweight and fragrance-free.
Blue Lizard is another recommended sunscreen. It is somewhat thicker, but is better in terms of being resistant to water and sweat. If you’re going to be exercising or in the water, it’s worth getting a sunscreen like Blue Lizard.
Click here to visit our online store!